The Northamptonshire Schools Safeguarding Audit from 2019 can be downloaded for reference here.
The NSCP does not plan on carrying out a schools audit during the 2020/21 academic year, schools wishing to ensure they are carrying out their duties should continue to use the 2019 audit template as a reference point and ensure any actions coming out of the 2019 audit are completed.
Schools audits are carried out in accordance with the details given in Working Together 2018 below, and is provided in an Excel spreadsheet, for completion by the School.
Working Together 2018 states:
- the legislative requirements and expectations on individual services to safeguard and promote the welfare of children; and
- the responsibility for the joining up of services rests with the three safeguarding partners (Police, Health and Local Authority) who have a shared and equal duty to make arrangements to work together to safeguard and promote the welfare of all children in a local area.
Schools and Colleges
11. The following have duties in relation to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children:
- governing bodies of maintained schools (including maintained nursery schools), further education colleges and sixth-form colleges
- proprietors of academy schools, free schools, alternative provision academies and non-maintained special schools . In the case of academies and free school trusts, the proprietor will be the trust itself
- proprietors of independent schools
- management committees of pupil referral units .
12. This guidance applies in its entirety to all schools.
13. Schools, colleges and other educational settings must also have regard to the statutory guidance Keeping Children Safe in Education, which provides further guidance as to how they should fulfil their duties in respect of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in their care .
As previously the outcomes will be used to inform local priorities, training needs and ensure schools receive the right information to meet their specific needs regarding the safeguarding of children and young people in their care. The audit also ensures that all schools are aware of and are implementing the recommendations made as a result of recent Serious Case Review (SCR) findings in Northamptonshire.
Upon completing your audit, you will have a concise document to evidence the outcomes that can be passed to your Board of Governors. You will also have an automatically populated school action plan to address any areas you may not be fully compliant with.
The Northamptonshire Safeguarding Children Board (NSCB) have also published the results of the 2017/18 Schools Audit which can be seen by clicking on the link below.
Last updated: 23 September 2020