Online safety news and advice to keep you and yourself safe online.
Online Safety News
You can view the latest version of the Online Safety newsletter here.
How Safe Are Your Children Online?
There has been a lot of great work across Northamptonshire schools to help raise awareness and educate children, young people, parents and teaching staff. However we are all responsible for safety online whether at work or in the home and ensuring that children and young people are given the best advice and guidance on how to remain safe online.
The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Northamptonshire conducted research with young people last year about online safety.
Did you know?
- 88% of young people in Northamptonshire don’t feel at risk online however a substantial number of young people do not fully understand security settings or why they are needed and some share passwords with people they have never met in person.
- The average young person, who spends more than 3 hours a day on social media, is more prone to anxiety, depression and mental health issues in general.
- Those aged 9-11 are the most vulnerable to online grooming.
- Secondary schools are dealing with cyber-bullying, sexting and inappropriate use of the internet in general on a daily basis.
- A third of parents across Northamptonshire would like more information about online safety.
What can you do?
- Check your privacy settings especially on social media
- Be clever with your passwords use a mixture of letters, numbers and use upper and lower case.
- Do not share your own personal details online and limit what information you are giving out online.
- Sharing photos and videos you must be careful! Google your name and see what comes up! It could well bring up videos and pictures that you are tagged in.
- Use direct message function - this lowers the chance of your information being passed on or copied and pasted onto other websites.
- Delete old accounts but remember you don’t delete anything from social media you deactivate information!
- Get anti-virus software
Where can I find further information?
Website: NCC Bullying and Online Safety
Last updated: 23 September 2020