Key Documents for Health Professionals
See key safeguarding documents and links to Professional Bodies' standards and codes of practice.
Key statutory documents:
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (2018) - for all professionals working with children.
- Information Sharing Advice for Safeguarding Practitioners (2015) - know when it's ok to share information about a child with other professionals.
Key local documents:
- Thresholds and Pathways Guidance (Northamptonshire County Council website)
Thresholds and Pathways helps people who work with children, young people and families to identify levels of need, identify and assess risk and understand procedures for information sharing.
Professional Bodies: standards and codes of conduct
General Medical Council (GMC)
As part of this guidance, the GMC also provides:
• Safeguarding case studies for doctors in different safeguarding situations.
• Flowchart illustrating the process to be followed when a doctor is concerned about a child’s safety (PDF)
• Leaflet for parents: ‘What to expect if your doctor is worried about your child’s safety' (PDF)
General Dental Council (GDC)
Standards for the dental team
See Principle 8.5: “You must take appropriate action if you have concerns about the possible abuse of children or vulnerable adults” (page 77)
See also GDC’s information: Safeguarding now a part of GDC’s continued professional development recommendations
Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
The Code for Nurses and Midwives
See Section 4 ‘Preserve Safety’ and in particular code 17: ‘Raise concerns immediately if you believe a person is vulnerable or at risk and needs extra support and protection’.
Last updated: 25 February 2020