LSCBLocal Safeguarding Children Board Northamptonshire

Children who don't live with their parents or close family

Here you will find out what a Private Fostering arrangement is and what your responsibilities are.

If a child under the age of 16 (or under the age of 18 if disabled) is living in a private arrangement with someone who is not their parent, step-parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle or adult sibling, for 28 days or more, then the local authority must be notified, as this is likely to be a 'private fostering' arrangement. 

How to let us know

Ideally, the parent or carer of the child should notify Northamptonshire Children's Trust themselves, but anyone can do this on their behalf by calling 0300 126 7000 or by emailing  

Very often, the child's parents or carers simply don't know that they are required to notify the local authority, so if you're aware of a child who's living with someone other than a close family member, please let us know. Once a notification is made, the child's carer will be able to access additional support and financial advice. 

Watch the video above to find out more about how children and carers in this situation can be helped. See more about the definition of 'private fostering' on Northamptonshire Children's Trust website. 

Last updated: 05 January 2024

A to Z of topics